Making breakfast on the weekends, takes on a more casual air. We slip in the slightly naughty recipes that might not be the most healthy choices, but they are waited for with plenty of anticipation.
This recipe for French toast, turned into a bread pudding style, so I could fit it all into one pan. If bread pudding is too different for your family, feel free to leave the bread in slices and lay them right on the peach layer.
I used 1/2 a loaf of French bread, but it was over 2 ft long(!) from my local bakery. If you buy one loaf of standard size loaf, it should be just right. Finally, there is no need for additional Maple syrup, but who can resist? Enjoy this yummy recipe with your family, and let , me know how it turns out.
Peach Caramel French Toast
1 loaf of French Bread, sliced or cubed
6 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk (I used fat free condensed milk)
1 Tbsp Vanilla
1 28 ounce can sliced peaches OR 1 quart of home canned peaches, drained
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp water
1. Grease a 13 X 9 cake pan and set aside
2. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, water, stick of butter
3. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes
4. Pour brown sugar mixture over bottom of pan, spreading to cover.
5. Drain peaches and add them evenly over the brown sugar layer.
6. Place sliced bread or bread cubes over the top of peaches.
7. Pour egg mixture over all.
8. Gently press bread into egg mixture, so it soaks into most of it.
9. Bake covered with foil, in a 350 oven, for 20 minutes.
10. Uncover and continue baking for another 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
11. Serve immediately
Please be careful serving this delicious dish to children. It is very hot, and holds the heat well. Break it up and cool slightly before letting them try it. My youngest likes to eat this with her fingers, and hot peaches are no fun. Other than that, it’s perfect!!